Monday, January 30, 2006

CS 1.6 Res Files

Okay first off I've decided to ditch the title system for blog posts (where I basically just put in the date) since that didn't really hold any relevant information (and the date is automatically posted anyway). As you know, I've been trying to figure out how to put in custom models for guns and players and such, but I've so far been unsuccessful. At first I thought the only way to do it was to use a plugin called amxx_mmm, which forces the client to download stuff. That required AMX Mod X, which did not successfully install on the server. Also, I'm really not even sure if amxx_mmm forces all model downloads - to my understanding it just forces ct and t downloads, which are currently not what I'm trying to change. Then I learned of the .res file. There is one .res file for each map on the server. The point of a .res file is to ensure that if a server is using custom maps (ie those not included with the client's install of the game), all textures, sounds, and decals that go with the map are downloaded so that the client can play that particular map. I tried putting the models into the .res file, but so far that hasn't worked either. When a client tries to connect to the server, it downloads the sounds and then drops them because "the server is enforcing file consistency for w_c4.mdl". w_c4.mdl is a model for the C4 that I tried to get the client to download. I did tell the server to enforce file consistency, but I took that clause out of the config files when it threw this error. It still does the same thing. Looks like I've got some work to do. It has occurred to me that the .res file is not the way to force model downloads, since they are intended for textures and such. The .res file might download everything from the server into a .wad file for the client, which means it isn't actually replacing the client-side models. I'm sure there's a way to do it though, since I've seen plenty of servers that have accomplished this task.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense.

-Free Gun Here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home